Tuesday 30 November 2010

Day 2: Fool Me Once

Classic schoolgirl error, as one of my friends would put it.  I looked out the window at snow softly falling, and as it slowed down I thought, 'Beautiful time for a walk!'  I layered up, suited up, booted up (wellied up?), and launched forth.  I even took my camera bag with me in case I saw some beautiful scenery on my walk.

The first minute and a half were lovely.  The sun shone through on a tree with red berries, and I stopped to take a photo.  The sky was blue.  There is almost a foot of snow on the ground.  My wellies made that muffled crunching sound that is peculiar to snow.  Ah, walking in all weathers.  This isn't so bad!

Five minutes later, it had begun to snow lightly.  Still lovely; still a nice morning walk. I passed a shop with laughter floating out as everyone discussed the unusual weather for Airdrie in November.  An old woman passed me on the bridge and we smiled and said 'Good morning', and wasn't it a lovely day?  I could see the sun rising against the mountains and snow-covered trees everywhere.  The fresh air made me feel alive, brisk, alert.
  
Ten minutes after that I had my head down, snow pellets attacking me from all round, and not a beautiful scenic photo in sight.  I took refuge underneath an old bridge, gave thanks for my Lowepro Slingshot camera bag (which has a handy little weather-jacket to pull up and around the bag to protect it in all weathers), pulled my hat down and my scarf up, and tramped on.  Now I was passing the effects of difficult weather.  A man with a flat tyre, pumping a jack in the driving snow. A man carrying a small child, being pelted not only by snow but by the interminable "why's" of a three year old.  Cars who were driving more slowly than I was walking.  Countless cars stuck in snow and ice and muck, and drivers still attempting to dig themselves out.  (Obviously heading for places or events of critical importance).

I took a 40-minute walk today, not because I intended to, but because that's how long a 15 minute walk took today!   Fool me once, weather, shame on you....

The snow is still coming down, in huge flakes now instead of pellets.  I'm warm and comfortable and very thankful that I took my walk at the start of the day - because the snow is a foot high, and more is still falling!

Excelsior, indeed!

3 comments:

  1. I've gone on two 1-minute walks today, to and from the Filberts. Ok, so they weren't really walks, haha. There's a street and a car park between my house and theirs. ;-) It's gloomy and very rainy, BUT the weather isn't freezing, so it's not entirely unpleasant. I think we're getting several days of snow here in Beaver Falls pretty soon though, and I'm so excited! I've been trying not to covet Airdrie for all the snow there already! ;-)
    Walk on, Karen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! One minute Brenda?? I did say whatever length, but come on it's supposed to be a challenge! :D Enjoy your gloom and rain, we have loads of snow waiting for you!!! Can't wait till you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! Check out my post promoting your site, while I took a lovely walk in the brisk sunshine..
    http://gratefulhome.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/inspiration-for-early-new-years-resolutions-walking/
    thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete