Wednesday 9 February 2011

Day 67: The Paul Newman

My sister and I have started to come up with some codes to save energy when the same thing comes up again and again.  We have a code for when I start getting grumpy and should just stop talking (I'm not going to tell you what it is, or you might use it against me and make me grumpier!), and one for when I'm too weary to talk about anything but don't want to have to explain that, and this morning as I set off for a walk by myself I created a new one, for when I want to go for a walk by myself as opposed to having company.  That  kind of walk is the Paul Newman walk - it is in solitary.  If you're not familiar with the film The Great Escape, perhaps Chicken Run?  Both excellent films (in their own way), but I'd suggest sitting back with a cup of green tea (or your choice of hot drink) and cosy up to watch the Great Escape tonight.  And then you will know.

So I set off for a Paul Newman this morning, and after walking a familiar path, set off on a brand new one, with no idea where it led.  Those are fun.  And a little tempting to be worrying sometimes, because who knows where I will end up, but I have learned that it is not cheating to whip out my iphone and discover where I am using the maps app, so that I don't wander around in circles and arrive home completely exhausted (as Pin and I did last week!). 

It was slightly icy out today - a brisk wind, but I had no hat and was comfortable enough with just scarf, coat, and gloves.  The ground felt like it had been frozen, and was very slowly unthawing.  There were edges of ice on all the bodies of water (tiny ones and larger ones), and interesting concentric circles, icy crusts, and ice shards everywhere.  I did wish for my wellies a few times, but made it without completely ruining my favourite brown boots, and really enjoyed the peace and opportunity to think.  I quite like having a chat with the Lord as I walk, or just thinking about nothing at all.

A flock of tiny birds rose up and flurried around ahead of me; several dog-walkers passed me with nods of agreement (translation: 'Yes, we are both wise to be out, regardless of the weather; I salute you'); two men were building fences around what is now labelled as a community park scheme; another man passed these and said "they're building fences round us now!"; and before me the road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began....


Walk on!

Walk length: 1.5 hours

2 comments:

  1. Emm...it's Steve McQueen in The Great Escape... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! nice catch Beth. Sigh. Now I have to rename my cool code. I think the Paul Newman sounds way better...but it doesn't work anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete