Wednesday 23 February 2011

Day 76: In The Dark And Windy Night

Tonight we drove up to Arbroath for a youth weekend.  You never know what the weather will be like, and the electronic road signs proclaimed "HEAVY SNOW FORECAST ON SATURDAY".  There were cheers in the car (we are all snow fans) but it was not to be.  We did have fierce winds and sharp cold, but I hadn't taken my walk for the day by the time we got up there, so Pin and I put on everything we had and sallied forth to walk along the edge of the sea.  It was very dark, so all I remember is a roaring sea and a big building and a dark road, but the point is we took the walk!

The wind was roaring so loud you could hardly hear yourself speak, much less think.  Having recently watched Dead Poet's Society, I felt compelled to "sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world" - or just Arbroath.  I figured with the way the wind was howling, my yawp would get swallowed up and the Arbroath rooftops could slumber on peacefully.  So, I sounded it.  It was such fun I decided to have another go, standing on a bench (getting in "yawping stance"), but halfway through my yawp I was surprised to find the wind nearly flinging me off it!  I'm not exactly a feather in the wind, so I leaped down immediately and left the yawping for the night.  Pin was undaunted, and leaped up on the same bench, ensuring that her calves were pressed against the back of the bench for support.  Hilariously, this didn't help at all, and she nearly flipped over backwards!  I laughed, but the wind took it away and she never knew.  ;)

Walk length:  20-30 minutes (I thought 15; Pin thinks a half hour. I compromise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment