Thursday 9 December 2010

Day 11: Thaw!

 Well, what a difference a day makes.  The sun was actually at work today. Yesterday it came up, looked about, made a big show of attending to the day's needs, yawned, and went back to bed having achieved nothing of consequence.  Today it got up early, rolled up its sleeves and announced, 'Right you lot, no more of this messing about, let's get this mess sorted!' 

Of course sorting the mess out has produced a new mess, with little brown streams everywhere and pure slush to wade through and new things for the moaners to find difficult ("What about those pavements? Why aren't they cleaning them? Ridiculous!"), but it's a completely different world.  A warm one.  Gone are the sparkling snow feathers from yesterday, the harsh cold air that took away speech, every tree looking like a Christmas tree.  It's a balmy six degrees Celsius, and in place of the glittering diamond beauty is a mass of shoppers and walkers and drivers. 

The grocery store is fully stocked, with crowds again buying bread as though they may never see it again.  Morrison's is, indeed, baking for us every day; and in the air there's a feeling of Christmas...the kind of feeling that says, "Right, let's get down to the shopping!"  It makes you want to buy things. 

The past week or so, even when people were out, the sharp coldness made our blood sluggish, and we walked slowly and conserved energy and only bought the necessities.  Now, the icicles are dripping, the snow is melting, and we're all in a hurry. 

I must admit to liking it better at the negative temperatures - the camaraderie, the beauty that takes your breath away, the silent night, the holy night - but I'll also admit to buying a whole bag of loot today!  Some for me and...some more for me.  It's the season of giving!

Walk length: 30 minutes

2 comments:

  1. So glad you took photos of it all before it started to melt! Probably feels great to have temperatures in the positive again!!
    And now I'm going to tell you why walking is a better way to get from here to there than cars are. ;-)
    I step out of my house this morning, ready to be productive. I decided that I would finally change that other headlight that wasn't working. Feeling rather conspicuous because I was right there on 5th Ave with the hood of my car up with people walking and driving by, I set to work replacing my headlight bulb. Thinking I had been successful, I turned my car on. Alas, I still had a headlight failure notification. I fiddled around a little more, but then I gave up cuz I felt like people were watching me. lol. So I took a break and went to Wal-Mart.
    On my way to Wal-mart I noticed that the fan for my heat was doing nothing. Weird. Then I got to the store and after a little while I noticed that I didn't have my wallet with me. *sigh* So back to Beaver Falls I went.
    I decided to get some male help with the headlights so I went to the Filberts. Turns out I was replacing the wrong ones...but the good news is they all use the same kind of bulb! Woohoo! Happy to have succeeded with the headlights finally, I get in my car, turn the key, and NOTHING HAPPENS!!! Words. Choice words.
    The rest of the story is that I got a jump, went to Wal-Mart for a batter test/replacement, and now here we are. The moral of my story is: Keep walking, Karen. Keep walking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha great story!! You are right, walking is the key! I'm laughing at you quitting on working on your car cos people are watching you. Hilarious. Yeah, the amount we spend on our cars is hardly worth it, sometimes. I will walk on!

    ReplyDelete