Tuesday 7 December 2010

Day 9: "A Picturesque Pain In The Butt"

 Yesterday I didn't want to leave my warm home and go out in the snow, but once I got there I enjoyed it.  Today I was quite cheerful leaving, but oh I was glad to get home.  It is bitter, bitter cold out there.

My iphone said that the high today was -2, and the low was -7, and it was -8 right then.  I think that sums it up. 

Today was not really a wellies day.  My usually warm woolen socks gave in to the cold's pressure and didn't really prevent it coming in any more.  The air is like ice going through your blood, and my toes were like hard blocks that have just now begun to thaw out.

I made it to the post office for a very impressive queue stretching out the doors.  I didn't mind waiting, although I must admit I much preferred waiting inside where I wasn't standing on two inches of solid ice!  It was warm, and I had a lovely chat with an older lady and her husband as they waited with me.  We were there a good 45 minutes, which I think in light of the snow and Christmas post, is probably pretty good!  My new friend said that she expected to look much different once she leftt, as "you could grow old waiting in this queue". 

Whilst in the growing-old queue, I ran into one of the church elders who said that he met one of his neighbours today, an American, who described our current situation as "a picturesque pain in the butt".  I kind of liked that phrase actually.  It bothers me when people won't even see the beauty:  but it's true that there are people stuck in cars for 16+ hours overnight, children having to sleep in schools because their parents can't pick them up, shops that are out of bread and milk, and no gritters or scrapers for the roads.  For someone like me, with a job from home and no children to amuse while the schools are off, it's not a burden.  I hoist my camera on my back and march through any kinds of snow. 

The roads are like glass.  Icicles stretch from every rooftop, some several feet long.  The trees are entirely encrusted with snow; even with a full sunny day they have not melted in the slightest. If you insist on going out today (and I did!), look to your nose, look to your toes, and walk quickly.

As for me, I'm in my fuzzy purple Eeyore jammies, the kettle is on, and it's your turn.  Where are you going to walk today?

No comments:

Post a Comment