Wednesday 1 December 2010

Postscript, Day 3: Back In Time

I took a very, very mini walk tonight to get my dinner.  The local Chinese was actually open!  (Although the lady who ran it kept answering the phone and explaining that no, there were no deliveries, and we all laughed.)

Snow at this level makes me feel like I've gone back fifty - or maybe a hundred - years.  The roads are so quiet, and still.  The noise of drivers and driving is gone.  People are walking everywhere.  There are greetings being passed across the road - "Hiya, nice to see you" and "Aye, I'll come by later".

Laughter floats across the cool night air and the street lamps cover everything with a soft orange glow.  Everyone talks to each other, they share stories about how they were stuck or couldn't get to work or didn't want to bother going to work.  The news is on the telly, but we get the most important news from each other.  "Is the post office open, do you know?"  "Aye, they were saying the football match is postponed indefinitely."  "Is the airport still shut?"  And a random stranger to sympathise with your hard times, or laugh at your snow story.

It's heartwarming.  Almost makes you want to go back a hundred years.

But then you wouldn't hear from me. :)

2 comments:

  1. So I didn't go on walk today, but I spent a while outside changing one of my headlight bulbs. It was snowing this time instead of raining! :) I tried once, but the engine was completely in the way and my fingers were cold so I decided to try again tomorrow. But then I was like, "No! I WILL do this!" And I did! And then I turned the car on to make sure it was working right, and thought I messed it up because I still got a failed headlight notification. But no. The OTHER headlight chose that particular moment to burn out too. Go figure. I had to laugh. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not buying a two pack of bulbs...Haha, oooh well. :P
    Anyways, just thought I'd share that story. ;) One day I'll go on a REAL walk and tell you about it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda your stories are awesome. Way to be strong and valiant with your car headlights! That is so typical the other would burn out. "Classic!"

    Yeah anytime you want to come....we got more snow last night and I reeeeeeeally want to take beautiful photos but it keeps on snowing!!!!

    ReplyDelete