Wednesday 1 December 2010

Day 3: Slight Blizzard, No Problem

So I still keep thinking that if I go out in the morning it will stay nice and clear for my lovely walk.  Today it not only started snowing a few minutes after I launched out, it then followed with driving snow, wind, and a mini blizzard.  (I say 'mini' because, typically, it all calmed down ten minutes after I walked back in the door.)

My car is almost completely snowed under - which is another reason to walk.  I'm thankful today that I live in a small town within walking distance of the train station (which is closed), the post office (which isn't doing much), the grocery store (fortunately open), and all the shops (closing early).  At least I can get to them when they all open again!

The walk was...well, I can't honestly say it was enjoyable.  It was cold.  The snow drove itself into my face with force, my hat didn't quite cover my ears, there are no walkways, and sometimes the snow was over top of my wellies (well over a foot of snow now, I think we're looking at about 16 inches).  There were no cheerful greetings with other walkers (we all had our heads down).  I saw three people waiting at a bus stop and wanted to say 'For what?', but thought wiser of it as I plowed on.  Not much scenery, and no photos to speak of even though I brought my trusty Lowepro Slingshot (with a handy little jacket cover for bad weather!)

But despite all that, it warms my heart to know that there are others out there doing the daily walking with me, even if you've got bright sunshine or a little bit of puny rain or a slight breeze.  It's okay.  Some days it's harder for me to go out on a perfectly lovely day, because of my mindset, than it is when there is a foot and a half of snow and blizzarding conditions. Excelsior!

I was thinking of trying another walk later, but I'm pretty beat. Right now I'm listening to Mozart's "Sleigh Ride" and watching the snow whirl around in flurries outside my window.  They can't touch me.

Until tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. So everything must be shut down or on hold, eh? I see the post office is closed?! Well, nice time to feel a bit relaxed in prep for a busy december. Love your pics -- you should get a street map of airdrie and highlight every street you've been on (maybe for the days you have lots of energy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it really is beautiful. Haha yeah...only there's no way that I'm covering some of those streets right now, the other day I went down a nearby street and there was almost no places to walk in, the cars aren't even bothering to try anymore! It's amazing though!

    ReplyDelete