Tuesday 14 December 2010

Day 16: The Day Is Fading With Fire

Some say the day will end in fire,
Some say in ice. 
From what I've seen upon the sky,
I hold with those who favour fire. 
But if it had to end it twice,
I think I know enough of cold
To say that for the end of day ice
Is also great,
And would suffice. 

(Roughly turned from Robert Frost's Fire and Ice.)

This picture doesn't half do justice to the fire in the sky tonight.  I took my daily walk to the post office (again!) and ran a few errands while out, and as I went into the last shop I saw the light was fading in golds and pinks.  When I came out, there is no other way to describe it than to say that someone had lit a match to the clouds, and it caught and flamed and spread across the sky with great speed.  Vibrant, sharp pinks and reds and golds, giving a pale pink hue to the snowy tops of houses and buildings.  I actually stood for a moment staring at it, wishing I could capture it. 

Incredibly, and typically, by the time I got to the end of the street, the fire had gone out.  The blues and purples of the clouds were overwhelming the brighter colours, and all was back to a dark evening. 

The air was cold tonight on my sore throat.  I was more wrapped up than anyone else I saw, but I was warm, and I don't have pneumonia.  (Been there, done that, never want to go again.)  So I think for the end of the day, I choose fire. 

Walk length:  30 minutes

1 comment:

  1. I miss this view and the previous one. I used to stand at the window on the second (first) floor of our house and look out toward Glasgow as the sun was setting.

    ReplyDelete