Monday 20 December 2010

Day 18: Tentative Efforts...

I am still insisting on my 90 day challenge, even if it has been broken up by illness.  As mentioned already, I've had pneumonia once. I am not doing it again, if I can help it.

So today I took some first tentative steps (like a baby toddling along), returning to my walking every day.  I am definitely a victim of my own competitiveness: it is one of the things that gets me into trouble physically more often than not.  If I'm going to walk, a mere ten or fifteen minutes will not do.  No, I must tramp for hours through snow and ice and negative temperatures!

The snow and ice is such a draw, though, for a photographer.  Today the frost particles looked as though it started snowing, started raining, the wind came down, and then everything froze in place.  There were what look like frost hairs lining everything - the trees, the bushes, the frozen red berries, even the metal fences had such a strange lining of frost!  I stood and stared for a few minutes, breathing through my scarf, amazed at what is possible with these weather changes; amazed at the Creator's beauty in small things.  

Everyone is still walking; the post office and airport hours are on constant change; my friend dropped by the other day and it took several people to push the car up the icy slope.  (It was kind of funny, watching from the kitchen window.)  Friends are dropping by with Christmas presents; my store of peppermint tea is diminishing rapidly, and I'm starting on the mulled wine; I'm listening to carols as I work away from home; and everywhere is goodwill.  Ah, I love Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment