Thursday 16 December 2010

A Blow To My Pride

I am not well today.  I've got the cold, which won't go.  My cough is not improving.  I had a migraine that lasted a full night and was not happy times.  I've spent the day in bed and have gotten up several times to peer out the window and wonder if I could go for a short walk - because I absolutely hate not coming through on a challenge, and the challenge is to walk every day in spite of the weather.

However, I had pneumonia two winters ago, and I never want to repeat the performance.  If it means a blow to my pride and not walking for a day (or perhaps more - I'll take each day as it comes), then so be it.  Walking for health is good.  Walking when I should be in bed resting is just stupid.

But it's Jane Austen's birthday today, so I will celebrate by reading a little Pride and Prejudice, or perhaps Mansfield Park.  Two of my favourites.

I'm hugely thankful for so many things, though: for migraine medicine, a warm house, good books, hot tea-with-lemon-and-honey, the internet, and even the blow to my pride.  After all, every rule has an exception.  Surely every challenge has its failures, too!

"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort."  -Jane Austen

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. Sick in bed too, but not as bad as you. :( Stomach flu is sweeping the house, fortunately I'm just wiped from it and not really sick. Better to go by the spirit of the law and not the letter on this one. Rest when needed, walk when possible. Google is not celebrating here in the US. :( Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather. As Pin says, my spirit is willing, it's just my body that's not cooperating. Sorry you're not well too...the flu is no fun. That's such a bummer, I thought it was a worldwide thing!! Well, you can rejoice with us. Happy 235th Jane!

    ReplyDelete