Saturday 8 January 2011

Day 30: A Thief And A Robber

One of the places I wanted to go while in Cyprus was the Kourion Theatre.  I drove there, today, and was only mildly surprised to find it closed, as it was New Year's Day.  The gates were barred and shut and not a guard or tourist guide was in sight.  I tramped around the sides briefly, considered, and then with two big steps and a jump (and some justification in my mind), cleared the rock at the side of the gate and began walking up the path to the theatre.  'Only a thief and a robber climbs in over the walls,' I thought, but I didn't go back...and then I saw I was in the company of two other thieves and robbers, and pretty soon they were everywhere.  I wandered about to my heart's content while the sun played on the stone steps of the theatre and danced on the surface of the faraway sea.  Three cats made advances to me, purring like little outboard motors and following every step I made.  One even consented to be a model, momentarily.  I walked for a long time, including climbing, and went on later to Aphrodite's Birthplace, where the sun set in purple-and-pink splendour (quite splendour) and I watched it reflected on the waters.  On the hill nearby there were little love hearts made out of beach rocks.  Later tonight I walked the seafront, so I am now officially worn out, and expect I will enjoy my day of rest tomorrow immensely. 

Walk length: 2 hours+

No comments:

Post a Comment