Friday 28 January 2011

Day 56: Everything Stops For Tea!

Went into Glasgow today for my British passport interview.  Had no idea what that was going to involve, turns out there were loads of questions about my application (many of which I stumbled over because I had had to look up the answers myself when writing it!), but I imagine they expect that people don't know all those answers from memory anyway.  Hopefully get my new passport in about a week.  At any rate, after the interview I stumbled across this beautiful little tea-shop tucked into a corner of Buchanan Galleries.  It's called Brewhaha and has these 50's drawings all over the wall, and happy little tables with comfortable and beautiful chairs.  (The tables really are happy - they just look contented to be there.)  I ordered a jasmine green tea and sat writing and thinking and resting and just generally enjoying some me time.  There are statements painted on the wall like "Everything stops for tea!" and I couldn't agree more.  I had plenty of errands to run but for the moment time just took a break and so did I.  It was very enjoyable. 

A lot of walking today - dropped the car off at the garage to get a puncture sorted, and then walked from there to the train station; then walking here and there in Glasgow, and then back to my flat.  I'll need to walk back to the garage later as well.  Again, just rejoicing in the fact that although a little tired, I'm holding up quite well with a good bit more walking than I used to do.  It did help that the sun was showing face today (a little shamefaced, I must say, and rightly so!), but still sharply cold -  I never took off my  hat and scarf, not even during the interview!  (I was a little surprised...I mean I could have just had a wig or even false head on under that hat for all they knew!)

Glasgow was its own inimitable self - a man in full Indian (or should I say, Native American) garb playing some kind of windpipes...a noble statue with an orange and white traffic cone on its head...the sun sparkling off the windows of tall buildings...people hurrying, hurrying...people doing nothing....people stopping in the middle of the walkway for no reason, or to check their phone...so many people on their phones...a building under construction that was wrapped entirely in blue, like a birthday present...people talking...snatches of conversation and snatches of many swear words...frustrated people, happy people, bored people, people who seem to be dead inside....friendly shopkeepers....a helpful security guard who noticed me trying to find a shop and helped me out...and me, winding my way amongst it all and being part of someone else's scenery. 

Took the train home, having to remember to actually get off in Airdrie now that the train goes all the way to Edinburgh.  Still haven't taken the Airdrie-Edinburgh line yet, but it's on my list! 

Walk length:  1.25 hours +

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Must visit there if i ever make it back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I'm just imagining all sorts of headgear - you with a wig, the statue w/ the traffic cone, the Native American dude....joy!

    ReplyDelete