Sunday 16 January 2011

Day 45: Rest. Again.

"The story is told of a South American tribe that went on a long march, day after day, when all of a sudden they would stop walking, sit down to rest for a while, and then make camp for a few days before going any further.  They explained that they needed that time of rest so that their souls could catch up with them."  - Wayne Muller

This is swiftly becoming my favourite walking day - the day that I don't walk at all.  Not because I don't love the walking - and I'm thankful for the challenge and the opportunity to experience weathers I would normally hide from - but because there is something about the resting that brings out the joy and the hard work and the 'flavour' of walking during the rest of the week.

I believe that it is possible to rest in a way that pleases God - as with anything in our lives that does not break His laws. You can eat in a way that honours Him.  Watch films to honour Him.  Walk to honour Him.  Work hard to honour Him.  Go sailing.  Go shopping.  Read a book.  Play with your nieces and nephews.  It doesn't have to be listening to a sermon or praying in order to be something that is done to His glory.  So enjoy your resting today - and so will I!

2 comments:

  1. After a restful Sabbath, I am ready to jump into my week!

    Have a most blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! The whole point of a day of rest is that we are rejuvenated to live with enthusiasm the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete