Tuesday 11 January 2011

Day 40: Walking on Ice

As much as I would like to be walking on sunshine, today I was walking on ice.  Everything looked fairly clear, roads free of snow, only a few bits here and there on the grass, frozen solid.  But I hadn't taken a few steps before I realised the path's treachery.  I felt like I was about to go swooping up, feet first, and land on my bum at any moment.  But once I got into my (careful) stride, I was able to move a bit more swiftly.  Never too swiftly, because any time I felt confident there would suddenly be a very slick patch of ice, and I had to look down a lot - but otherwise a normal winter's walk!  I did pass a section of pavement where there were spread out little patches of ice that looked very much like small bear-tracks.  Apparently a small bear has been walking around. 

I've decided that I am an anomaly.  Everyone else out walking has one of four purposes.  One, they're out walking the dog.  Two, they're going to the shop or some other destination.  Three, they're going for a run.  Or four (in nicer weather) they're out with a friend or partner for a catch up or a wander.  Nobody is in my category, I don't think.  (Walking simply to walk, and enjoy or at least experience the weather.)  I discovered this too when I was in Cyprus, going for walks with my camera equipment on my back.  There were couples everywhere.  People out running.  Families on holiday.  But a single person on their own with no defined destination?...Very odd.  I kind of like being an anomaly.  It's the pale version of a rebel.  Perhaps soon I will graduate to the next level.

One man shook his head as I passed.  "Terrible weather, isn't it?" he said.  I think he was shocked into almost standing still when I said, "No, I think it's all right!"  As I cheerfully walked on I heard him mutter to himself, "All right?  All RIGHT?" and probably a few epithets it was best I didn't hear.  The funny thing was, I think I passed him again on my way home, but I was concentrating so hard on my feet and not slipping on the ice that I missed my opportunity to say, "Terrible weather, isn't it?" and really give him a strange day.  I also considered, as I walked, telling him that he must have met my twin sister earlier, as she was out for a walk too.  This could become great fun.  On days when I feel positive and cheerful I can be me, and on grumpy days I can be...Phoebe.  Or Greta.  That sounds like a grumpy name.

Just as I got (carefully) back to my estate, a boy passed me running at top speeds.  I love the enthusiasm of a ten year old (or thereabouts).  Here I was being cautious and ensuring that I didn't walk too fast, and this boy was running, literally full out, to wherever he was going.  Now that's enthusiasm.  Being me today, I salute that!  (Greta would not approve.)

Walk length: 40 minutes

2 comments: